From August 2016 to July 2020.
Ampliación de la Reserva Comunal Airo Pai para la protección y conservación sostenible del Complejo de ANPs del Güeppí – Perú
Contribute to the sustainable conservation and protection of the Complex of Protected Natural Areas (ANPs) of Güeppí by strengthening the Airo Pai Communal Reserve, to include an additional 194,000 hectares that are located on the right bank of the Napo River.
Lines of action:
1) Territorial planning for the legal physical sanitation of native communities around the complex of protected natural areas of Güeppí and definition of territorial rights.
2) Organizational strengthening of native communities around the complex of protected natural areas of Güeppí for communal management and life plans.
3) Development of management instruments of the Güeppí ANP complex (creation of ECAs, preparation of master plans, constitution of a management committee and preparation of a control and surveillance plan)
4) Implement and strengthen natural resource management plans in some communities settled within the scope of the project.
We have the financing of the cooperating entity Rainforest Trust.
• 13 native Kichwa and Secoya communities of the Alto Napo, Santa María and Putumayo basin
• Secoya Indigenous Organization of Peru (OISPE) and the Kichwa Wangurina Organization of Alto Napo (ORKIWAN).
• Complex of Protected Natural Areas (ANPs) of Güeppí.
• Threatened species housed in the Güeppí ANPs complex.
Scope of execution
Región natural : Selva baja
Región : Loreto
Provincias : Putumayo y Maynas
Distritos : Teniente Manuel Clavero y Torres Causana
Cuencas : Napo y Putumayo
• Airo Pai Communal Reserve: 247, 887.59 ha.
• Huimeki Communal Reserve: 141,234.46 ha.
• Güeppí Sekime National Park: 203,628.51 ha.
The proposed expansion of the Airo Pai Communal Reserve is a request made by the five native communities that make up the ECA Sieko Pai, in order to protect and manage the space that is currently free and is adjacent to the RC Airo Pai. One of the main threats is deforestation due to illegal logging.
- Expected results:
1. Ensure that the indigenous communities (possibly also the parcels) located around the complex of protected natural areas of Güeppí have their respective property titles of their territories registered in the Public Registries
2. To ensure that indigenous communities strengthen their institutional governance and their capacities to manage their natural resources.
3. The communities within the scope of the project have Life Plans for the management of their territory.
4. Create the Administration Contract Executor (ECA) for the Airo Pai and Huimeki communal reserves.
5. Communal Reserves Airo Pai and Huimeki each have an approved and implemented Master Plan.
6. The control and surveillance actions of the ANP Güeppí complex have been strengthened.
7. At least six natural resource management plans prepared in the same number of communities within the scope of the project.
8. Achieve the expansion of the Airo Pai Communal Reserve.
Map of the «Strengthening Project of the Airo Pai Communal Reserve in the Complex of Protected Natural Areas of Gueppi - Peru»